Tuesday, July 15, 2008

Burgess Shale Sojourn: Yoho Valley

After the grueling Burgess hike (8am - 7:30 pm on my feet trudgin around the mountain!!) I decided to take a campsite near the trailhead and not venture around searching. Turns out it was one of the nicest campsites I have been to. And it worked as a trailhead for yet another adventurous trail to the Yoho Glacier...perfection in a hotdog bun.

ABOVE and BELOW: Evening views from my tentsite.



The trail wandered throughout the forest, up the mountain side and out into the alpine. I thought this hike would be a simple one, 18km round trip but much less of an elevation gain, so I brought little water and little food. Bad. Mistake.

Heat. Getting lost. Getting lost again. Perching myself precariously on a cliff and attempting a rock climb to get higher. Getting lost again. Getting found. ... Getting hungry and thirsty!!

It was a beautiful hike, a beautiful (and long!) day...


Me playing in the barren rock-scape near the glacier. The view and the perspective is worth every step to get to places like this....

No comments: