Monday, November 20, 2006

Calgary: what has become of you

Has this hit the news east of the pacific time zone? I am going to stave off my desire to go into a huge discussion about the context and extended ramifications of this, but I will go into it a little bit. This is from CANOE News, I looked up 'Calgary bylaw spitting'and it was the first hit - I chose CANOE or this reason, not for their range of coverage. It is all over the news here, and lacking a television I had seen nothing of it apart from the local and CBC news, so I checked it out on the web. Pointless to continue about where or how I heard of it, it bears no importance to the issue.
The quote below is just a sampling, you should hear the city councillors spaek so passionately about this. It is now illegal to be uncivilized. So, buy up your toilets, flush your water, build more houses, sell more everything, buy more everything, never wear your clothes twice, and become a part of civilized society. Or else, you are ilegal. Yes, you there who is using your sleeve as a napkin (because it works equally as well and it is your sleeve, and damn it you can do what you want..for now...), you are a lawless, uncivilized creature. Public spaces are for observing...not using...apparently.

Why has politeness (of which none of these new by-laws apply to...) become a matter for the courts? Has our family structure and educational foundations failed to the point where we must mandate manners?

This is a quote taken from CANOE:

"Despite lingering legal questions, a new public behaviour bylaw targeting those lacking in social graces will soon be on the city’s rolls.

City council moved ahead with the bylaw today that would impose fines for those caught brawling, spitting, loitering, defecating or urinating in public after meeting with the city’s law department behind closed doors."


Ok, I am late for work so it will be short. Is this the end of freedom? Simply put, this makes it illegal to not have a home. You may no longer stand in place (something people who find themselves homeless tend to do, walking for walking sake tends to gain a diminished excitement after years), spit (although not pleasant, it is totally natural, common, and something that is biologically prominent because it is a veritable process for expelling unwanted products, tastes, chemicals, etc. No more may we sit on a park bench for a long time or put up our feet. Put up our feet?!?

I am enraged at this.

How is it in the personal ability of one set of people to tell the human species that we may not rest our feet? There are limits, I recognize. For instance, if I were sitting on a bench and had my feet in the air, resting on the rest of the bench, and an elderly lady or man happen by and need a place to rest and I choose NOT TO LET THEM SIT because I am being ignorant, then the bylaw is useful. But, lets be honest, is this the problem? Or, is it that people are sleeping on benches, and instead of looking like the Calgary councillors dont like homeless people, the forge new boundaries for the language and say "no feet on the benches". It renders the same imponderable result, but makes them look like they are cleanign up the city. If I am tired, and I see a park bench, I will sit. If my feet are sore, or I feel the irge, I will raise my feet and render them prone on the same bench. And when I have to pee, I will look for a tree before I look for 6 (or 12) litres of water to flush in a sanitized, lysol, bacteria-free bathroom that is a home of the most myriad concoction of chemicals and waste.

I cant get through a whole newscast without this entering in somehow and making me...stay polite, stay mature....making me feel the need to express my feelings towards this indecent act of human-centric power abuse. I dont like the idea of dirty streets, unsafe playgrounds for children or abuse of public places, but are these really the ideas that CAlgary thinks will solve the problem?

I call for a "spit-in" on public lawns, a "feet-in" on public benches and a "pee-in" in any forest you find yourself in. Ok, I dont see the need for defecating publically, but although it is completely natural and only secluded from our reality based on our culture, it is still unhealthy. But, the extended result of this, and nobody is saying this yet...they will...i hope.....because I am.....is that you must own a toilet or pay for one to even do natural processes such as urinating and defecating. How many signs do you see in an urban centre that say"toilets for customers only"? Now, if one cant afford a $3 coffee, a meal or a pair of $90 jeans, yet is an animal and thus needs to urinate at some point, where do they go?

I see this as an step towars erradicating homelessness, by making it illegal. Not by arranging the social system to allow for equality and equal opportunity to all members of the human society through social programs and education but through making one more thing in life illegal.

Imagine bears lassed a bylaw saying that they could not pee in public, or sleep near big trees. They had to buy their own. And do everythin in private. Im just sayin'.

Im done. My mind is not, but my fingers are. I hope these thougths are lucid enough to show that Calgary is taking an ignorant and very faith-based step towards creating a hierarchy between humans.

No comments: