Thursday, January 11, 2007

Comet McNaught

I just spent an hour standing still in the frakin' cold starring out across the vast expanse of horizontal glory to try to spy the illustrious comet McNaught on one of its last days of visibility (for a while, at least). It is the brightest comet to grace us in the last 30 years and is actually a daytime naked eye object (if you are careful enough to properly block out the sun and peek a few degrees to the left of it).

As soon as I clambered us the snowy slope of a hillside I gazed out, steadfast beside a fellow amateur astronomer, and saw...clouds.

Clouds.

Beautiful, crimson red and deep yellow clouds. Beautiful, yes, but completely, 100% obstructing my view of the object of my desires. In -25 c weather, as the sun completely vanished from view, on my last chance to see the comet of the decades, clouds took away the show.

All ready to pack up and call it a viewing, I turned away to hear the bellow of my companion through my parka hood, balaclava and toque - "I see it!!".

Then, turning quickly and grasping for a piece of sky that hosted a bright object that looked unnatural for an evening view, I saw a brights spot emerging from the clouds and resting placidly in a gap.

Rummaging for my bino's, I took off my gloves and allowed my fingers to go numb as I stood and gazed in awe at the sight through the magnified eyes. It was beautiful, and bright. I lowered my biono's and took it in with naked eyes, and was not let down. For the next five minutes I switched between my bino's, naked eye, and my companions telescope to witness this piece of astronomical history. Fingers dead with cold and beyond repair of consolation from my armpits and heated breath, I had to call it a night as the clouds one again took over the show and sheltered us from the comet. We quickly packed up, scrambled down the hillside and went our separate ways.

I have never experienced fingers so cold before in my whole life, and I sat there warming them up for a good 15min before I could feel them. However, that was not as graceful as I had hoped because once I could feel them I felt nothing but agonizing tingles and thumping pain. Pain, it seems, enjoys to stay. It stayed until I I got home, and even then it was a ragged attempt to keep them warm in my armpits, driving standard, in icy conditions, dodging logging trucks and trying to sing along with the Rheostatics (you have to have music to subdue the pain...ya gotta!).

Now, safely at home and assured that my fingers are not due to be chopped from the vices of frostbite, I am quite amused at my evening and more than satiated that I did get to see, through many lenses, the comet of the decade(s). Bring on summer astronomy!
Here, then, are the views we were greeted with as our eager retinas scanned for the ghostly bright spot of Comet McNaught...these are NOT of a comet, but rather of a glorious sunset. My fingers were far to cold to physically operate any device more complex than mittens or armpits. Pictures of the comet were nearly impossible. Digits too cold. Feet too cold. Face too cold. Head too cold (it is now shaved). Body achingly cold....but I saw it and I have the memories to chill my bones as I sleep.
peace, enjoy. This is the west of Prince George.




No comments: