Wednesday, August 15, 2007

More about religion: this time I go south

Short note, not to take away from below.

Brazilian soccer is allegedly a "mans sport, in which there is no place for 'gays' ". So I assume that if a gay person wanted to play soccer, he (because only men can play, straight men) should make his own league for gay people? That sounds like a contemptible idea, to be mild. Oh, wait:

Brazilian Journalist: The judge decided that if he would have to tell the world if he actually was gay or not, and if so he would be banned from the league. It was said that it is a man's sport, and there is not room for homosexuals. Homosexuality would ruin the face of the game.

CBC: Well, would he be able to play anywhere? I mean, would he be barred from playing ever?!?

Brazilian Journalist: Yes, yes...that is what the judge decided. He asserted that he would have to start his own league...

CBC: ..his own league for "gays"

Brazilian Journalist: Yes, a 'Gay League'. The judge believed that 'gays' and 'straights' should not be forced to play together. It is a ... we say homophobic - is that term correct in English?

Yes, my friend, it more that definitely is. I must pause....calm....relax....this is just one ignorant man (the judge; the journalist was extremely and decisively critical of the judge

Now, I will solder my mouth (fingers, as it were) because I believe that it is plain enough to see the atrocity of it all. The judge was slapped on the wrist for this, temporarily losing his post as high judge, but I ask this - what would have modified his beliefs and impeded his ability to accept a soccer player to just be a soccer player, gay or straight? What would have moulded his beliefs...hey wait, isn't Brazil a Catholic occupied place?

Hmm......religion pokes its wretched head again, and, again, not for good. Love, I think not. Morals, I think not. Cosmic answers - hah! - I think not. Oppression and hate, I think so.

No comments: