Tuesday, December 04, 2007

A break...

The snow kicked my ass.

I had to take two steps of precaution today that inculcate in me an awareness that nature is in control.
1) Falling - much less a coherent decision as a realization during the event, but nonetheless an event. The landing is much more serene than those of the summer - less speed and more fluff on the ground to land on.

2) Walking - the decision to get down from the bike and walk the rest of the way home, albeit only a block, rendered a subtle glow of admiration of the snow in my frigid and ice encrusted eyes. It made me lose today. I fight it every day, with love, but fighting. I win every day. Today I lost. I chose to walk.

So, the biking in the snow all winter long goal is a sculpture which I chip at each day, some (most) provocatively amazing. Today, not. Safe, fine, happy, but acutely aware that I am running uphill with a few weights and not a single city worker helping to clear any section of sidewalk for me or the other winter bikers. I should enjoy a video of myself swindling my way along some of these side streets!

Although I fell prey to gravity and shin-high snow drifts, ending my ride face down in a giggling mockery of the event, and although I had to choose to walk a small section, I am starting each day with a smile and a nestled grin and ending the same days with a continuation of that pose.

I like to think that the fellow travellers with me each morning are getting used to my appearance and are aware of my presence...but who knows. I do know, however, that the city emplyees are not yet aware that either there is snow on the ground or that there are actual streets to plow. I think they are staying indoors for the winter, as a true civic employee should want to do. This is Prince George, and I am ok with it.

No comments: