Wednesday, November 15, 2006

Work in the Woods: Horsefly, BC

Crystals research concerns Coho Salmon and habitat selection criteria, linked with groundwater flow, surface and groundwater chemistry and stream hydraulics. There is an entire discussion possible on the idea of Coho and their place on the endangered species list, but I shall leave that alone as I am only a periphery witness to it, while Crystal and those at UNBC can comment with more authentic knowledge. The point, then, is that I am working on this project and spending the better part of my week (for now) in the woods and streams of a small hamlet called Horsefly, BC. I even bought the hat. Look for it next time you see me.

Cheers, enjoy.


This is me pondering the bald eagle (de-mystified) or a cloud, or something, while I stand in the stream. This is when it was warmer, hence the lack of shirt on me. I think I butchered the grammatical flow of that last sentence.


This is the Quesnel River, to which the Horsefly river is a tributary, to which Mackenzie Creek is a tributary to. So, this is part ofthe system, but not the study site.


This is me standing beside a brush fire that the logging companies burn now and then to clear up land that has been logged and ready it for reforetation.


This is crystal taking a water sample.


This is me taking a water sample. We had to scour the watershed for streams to sample, taking us through harsh forests and hours into the fray of nature...leaving me somewhat scarred (hands) from the plant I wish to call "Why the hell has this thing been allowed to survive in nature, why hasnt some entrepreneurial cricket, chipmunk or bear taken it upon themselves to erradicate this from BC?!?!? F***ing spike bush....". I think it has a specific name, somewhat more historic and scientific in nature, but my name explains the brush better.
It has been fun, without doubt, and the bush-of-death is but a minor blip on the radar screen.

No comments: