Monday, January 29, 2007

The Reward:Literature comes home



After many first quarter moons spent searching, monitoring, perusing, calling, checking, ordering, appealing for help.....I finally secured my own copy of Hayduke Lives! - the somewhat under acclaimed sequel to The Monkey Wrench Gang. It eluded me for so long, ws absent from every corner I looked - but it has revealed itself finally, and I now accept my reward of time and passionate search with the book itself.
It took much time, and for that I am almost greatly appreciative. Almost, because I would much rather have read it right after the original, but time has cast its fond glow of poignancy and desire to the book I now hold in my garish palms. Hayduke Lives! is the one book that truly took me to so many used book sellers, book swaps, venues of literature and fed so many inquisitive looks through peoples personal libraries and fuelled conversations. How I procured this book is not important, although I shall report that it was not done in the most democratically proper fashion, yet it was also not attained in great discord with the law; a happy medium. No more about this. Had I stolen it from a church I would have bragged herein, so rest assured that one option is negated.
I have had it some time now, months....two perhaps. Only recently have I had the chance to focus on reading it and appreciating it. Now, as I pass through the last chapter, I am openly aware that a yearning...a passion...a desire unmentionable before has been lost. Lost, perhaps, but sated in that I have finished the literary meal I so desired. Or , rather, am aboutg to finish. 16 pages to go. Hayduke Lives! shall sit upon my book shelf, with its friend and family member TMWG and rest in peace. Once I finish it, that is. Now, with no work today and a pseudo crepuscular ray gleaming through my front window I sit, tea steeping, candles lit, on the floor and digest the remainin features of my lust, the great and never-to-be-lost-again Hayduke Lives!.

No comments: